The People and Places of the Stewartry

This is a paginated list of all historical articles and extracts held on this website. The most recently added items are at the top of the list. Use your browser 'back' button to get back to this page.

Attack on Kirkcudbright in 1547: In the book History of the Antiquities of Westmoreland and Cumberland, published in 1777, notice is taken of a manuscript account of a raid on Kirkcudbright in 1547. - View

A History of Galloway Cattle: This extract is taken from a book entitled "Cattle: their breeds, management, and diseases" published in London, 1834. Contains much about farming life in the Stewartry at the beginning of the 19th Century. - View

The Granite Quarries of the Stewartry: Extracted from: The Industries of Scotland: their rise, progress, and present condition, by David Bremner. Published in Edinburgh, 1869. Craignair Quarry in Buittle, Kirkmabreck Quarry, and the Dalbeattie Granite Industry. - View

A tour through the whole island of Great Britain 1801: The transcribed section of this book contains some very interesting observations of some historical sites in the Stewartry. - View

A Tour Thro' the Whole of Great Britain 1778: In volume 3 of his works, Defoe records his visit to Kirkcudbright. His often quoted "Harbour without Ships, a Port without Trade, a Fishery without Nets, a People without Business" is contained in the article. - View

A Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain Vol 6.: Published in 1801, Cutwell visited Kirkcudbright and Dundrennan Abbey. - View

A View of the British Empire, More Especially Scotland: Written around 1780 the author crosses the county from Dumfries, via Castle Douglas (Carlingwark), Kirkcudbright, Gatehouse and Creetown, to Newton Stewart. - View

A Tour in England and Scotland in 1785: Whilst Thomson did not enter Galloway, he travelled from Carlisle to Dumfries, and then to Moffat. His description of the people living in the countryside, and in particular their accommodation and clothing is of interest. - View

Bess The Gawkie: James Muirhead was a native of Buittle Parish and was minister at Urr. He wrote the account for Urr in the First Statistical Account of Scotland. - View

The Lag Ridge: A story of Covenanting Times. From: Unique traditions chiefly of the west and south of Scotland, by John Gordon Barbour. First published in 1833. - View

The Withering of the Oak Tree: Tells of the martyrdom of Edward Gordon and Alexander M'Cubbin, the Irongray Martyrs. - View

Isabella Halliday: The story of some hard times in Borgue around 1819. - View

Borgue Honey: An article which appeared in the "The Western Farmer & Gardener" published in Cincinnati, July 1841. - View

John Kennedy of Knocknalling: Although a very successful cotton mill owner, this biographical note concentrates more on the man and his background. - View

John A Neilson: John A Neilson was born at Dornall, Balmaghie, 1776, and became an important politician and journalist in Quebec County, Canada. - View

Quintin Campbell of Carsphairn and Philadelphia: Story of the Quintin, son of Rev. John Campbell of Carsphairn, and of Mrs Campbell, Dalry, who, in 1790 went off as a boy to Philadelphia. - View

A Journey Through Scotland (before 1723): In Familiar Letters from a Gentleman Here to his Friend Abroad. First Published in London in 1723. First Letter - Kirkcudbright to Dumfries. - View

The Mary B. Mitchell: Story of the schooner Mary B Mitchell whose anchor is displayed at Kirkcudbright Harbour and whose remains lie near Senwick Church, Borgue. - View

Joseph Dick: This is the interesting story of Joseph Dick, one time lighthouse keeper on Ross Island. - View

Right Hon. Robert Cutlar Fergusson: Obituary from "The Annual Register, or a View of the History and Politics of the year 1838," published in London 1839. - View