The Parish of Terregles.
The placenames index for this parish is accessed via the menu on the left. Links from there open up access to various historical and modern maps indicating where the place is to be found as well as links to other historical information and photographs if we have them.
Extensive historical information, particularly in the form of scanned books, is becoming available on the Internet. In this section we have begun listing links to this information relative to this parish.
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF SCOTLAND, by Samuel Lewis. Published in 2 vols, London, 1846.
"TERREGLES, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright, 2 miles (W.) from Dumfries ; containing, with the village of Newbridge, 564 inhabitants. This place derives its name, which is a corruption of French words signifying "the lands of the church," from its having anciently belonged to the abbey of Lincluden, founded about the year 1150, by Uthred, father of Roland, Lord of Galloway, and who endowed it for nuns of the Benedictine order. This establishment, which was subsequently changed by Archibald Douglas, Lord of Galloway, and made collegiate for a provost and brethren, subsisted till the Reformation, when its lands were erected into a temporal barony in favour of the earls of Nithsdale, whose descendant, Marmaduke Constable Maxwell, Esq., is the present proprietor. Some vestiges of the ancient castle of the earls are still remaining, and the foundations of an extensive village, which is said to have contained 300 inhabitants, may be traced upon the farm of Terregles-town, in the neighbourhood whereof is an eminence called the Gallows Hill.
The Parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Cairn, and on the east by the Nith, is about five miles in length and nearly three miles in average breadth, comprising an area of almost 5000 acres, of which 200 are woodland and plantations, about 300 hill pasture, and the remainder arable. The surface is diversified with hill and dale, and the scenery is generally of pleasing character, and in many points beautifully picturesque. Towards the west is a fine range of hills of moderate height, partly covered with wood, and partly affording pasture for sheep and cattle. From the summit of these hills is an extensive view, embracing the town of Dumfries, the valley of Nithsdale with the windings of the river, a portion of the Solway Frith, and the Cumberland hills in the distance. The lower grounds are watered by the small river Cargen, which affords excellent fishing for salmon and trout, and which, flowing through the parish in a southeastern course, falls into the Nith below the town of Dumfries.
The Soil is mostly a light loam alternated with sand; but it is fertile, and produces abundant crops of all kinds of grain, with turnips and potatoes. The system of agriculture is in a highly-improved state ; and the rotation of crops, according to the quality of the land, is carefully observed on all the farms. The plantations are well kept, and thriving. The substratum is chiefly of the red sandstone formation ; the hills generally consist of primitive rock. Terregles House, the seat of Mr. Maxwell, and Lincluden, that of the Honourable Mrs. Young, are both handsome modern mansions finely situated in grounds tastefully laid out, and embellished with plantations. There is no village of any importance. Facility of communication is afforded by the turnpike-road from Dumfries to Portpatrick, which passes through the parish, and by statute roads kept in good repair. The rateable annual value of Terregles is £4303. Its Ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery and synod of Dumfries : the minister's stipend is £158. 6. 8., of which one-fourth is paid from the exchequer; with a manse, and a glebe valued at £20 per annum : patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, was built in 1806 : the churchyard, which contains numerous handsome monuments, is inclosed by a stone wall. The parochial school, for which an appropriate building was recently erected, is well attended ; the master has a salary of £34, with a house and garden, and the fees average about £16 per annum. The poor receive the interest of £410 vested in the Kirk Session. The remains of the abbey of Lincluden stand on the bank of the river Cairn, a little above its influx into the Nith, and consist of the chancel, in which is the monument of Margaret, daughter of Robert III., and wife of Archibald, Earl Douglas, and Lord of Galloway ; with some other portions of the buildings, in a very dilapidated state."