We have not been able to find out any more information on this man. If anyone can help extend this stub please contact us. 'Kirkcudbright' may mean anywhere in the Stewartry.

William McCartney, Kirkcudbright and North Dansville, N.Y.

Local authorities do not entirely agree as to who was the first settler within the limits of the present town of North Dansville, and this is not surprising in view of the many territorial changes affecting it. It may not be possible at this day to definitely determine the fact; yet, from inquiries made and a careful analysis of conflicting statements in reference to this matter, we see little reason to doubt that the credit rightly belongs to William McCartney, who was born in 1771, at Kirkcudbright, in the county and on the bay of the same name on the south coast of Scotland, whence he came to this country at the instance and as the clerk of Charles Williamson, on the latter's assuming the agency of the Pultney estate. Reaching Philadelphia in 1791, early the following year he came to Bath, which Capt. Williamson made his home. Thence, after a few months, he came to Sparta, which then embraced the present towns of Groveland, Springwater, West Sparta and the major portion of Conesus, and subsequently North Dansville. In company with Andrew Smith, who accompanied him from Scotland, he occupied a log-house erected by Capt. Williamson on the west bank of Canaseraga creek, on what is known as the McNair farm in West Sparta, three miles north of Dansville. Both McCartney and Smith were young single men, and there they kept bachelor's hall for about two years, when Smith, who was suffering from fever and ague, removed to and settled at Bath. McCartney moved further up the creek, and built on 209 acres purchased in 1793, on the flats in the locality of Comminsville, including that site, but lying mostly north-east of it, a log-house which stood about thirty rods east of the Canaseraga and about a hundred rods north of Comminsville.

July 14, 1796, William McCartney married Mary McCurdy, (a step-daughter of Cornelius McCoy, the pioneer settler on the site of Dansville village,) who, says Dr. James Faulkner, is remembered as a girl and woman of great beauty. The ceremony, it is supposed, was performed by Rev. Samuel J. Mills, of Groveland, from whom the Millses of Mt. Morris are descended, who occasionally extended his labors in this direction at an early day. This was the first marriage contracted in the town. He continued to reside on his farm in this town till his death, February 9, 1831. He was one of the original members of the First Presbyterian Church of Sparta, three miles north of Dansville, and one of its ruling elders. He was the recipient of various official trusts, irrespective of party. He was for twenty-seven years Supervisor of the town of Sparta, and for several years, during anti-masonic times, was the candidate of both parties. For a number of years he went to Canandaigua to attend the meetings of the board. He was for several years a Justice of the Peace. He represented Ontario county in the Assembly in 1819, and declined a re-nomination. He served on the Niagara frontier during the war of 1812. He was one of the most prominent pioneer settlers in this section. His wife survived him many years. She died Sept. 5, 1864. They had thirteen children, eleven of whom lived to maturity, and most of whom settled in this locality. Six are still living: — Maria, wife of Charles R. Kern, Hugh, Matthew and Sarah A., a maiden lady, in Dansville village ; David, in Sterling, Ill.; and James F., in Dansville, Steuben county.

External Links