These extracts come from a book, published in 1856 by Fullerton, Edinburgh.

The Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, Vol 2.

The parish of Kirkpatrick Durham.

KIRKPATRICK-DURHAM, a parish in Kirkcudbrightshire ; bounded on the north by Dumfries-shire; on the east by Kirkpatrick-Irongray and Urr; on the south-east by Urr; on the south-west by Crossmichael; and on the west by Parton and Balmaclellan. In extreme length, from Blackmark on the north to the point where Urr-water leaves it on the south, it measures 10½ miles; over 8½ miles, from the north downwards, it varies in breadth from 2¾ to 4½ miles; thence to the southern extremity it tapers to a point; and it contains altogether about 38 square miles. Urr-water, coming down from the north, runs along the whole western and southwestern boundary, and is tenanted by salmon, sea trout, burn trout, and pike. Auchenreach burn comes down from the north-east, and runs 3½ miles along the eastern and south-eastern boundary, expanding over 1½  mile of that distance into Loch Auchenreach, from a furlong to ¼ of a mile in breadth. Four brooks rise in the interior, and run south-westward to the Urr. Two principal head-streams of Old-water, a tributary of the Cairn or Cluden, rise 1½ mile within the eastern boundary. Seven lakes, alt inconsiderable in size, diversify the landscape; one of them in the north, three near the middle, and three toward the south.

The surface of the parish has, in general, a southern exposure, rising slowly till about the middle, and afterwards ascending more boldly, and at last becoming entirely upland. The northern division has few arable patches, and does not excel even in its pasture; but, for the most part, clothed in russet, and stretching away in moorland, it is distinguished chiefly for the abundance of its game. The southern division, though thin and sandy in its soil, is almost entirely arable, and produces rich and luxuriant crops. The climate is peculiarly salubrious. The parish is cut diagonally at its broadest part by the turnpike between Dumfries and Newton-Stewart, and a brief way in the south-east by that between Dumfries and Kirkcudbright; and it is well-provided with other roads. The hamlet of Bridge-of-Urr, with a population of about 50, stands at the southern extremity of the parish. The village of Kirkpatrick-Durham, with a population, in 1836, of 512, stands 1¾ mile north of the Bridge of Urr, 6 miles north of Castle-Douglas, and 13 west of Dumfries. It has a pleasant appearance, and is altogether modern, having been commenced only about the year 1785. Brisk exertions, but vain, were made to render it the seat of cotton and woollen manufactories. Attempts, in worse taste, but, for a time, eminently successful, were made to give it importance, by laying out a race-course in its vicinity, and drawing to it vast concourses of fashionable idlers, and rustic runaways from useful and healthy toils. An annual fair is held here on the last Thursday of March. The village of Crocketford stretches so far into the parish as to number among its population about 90 of the parishioners. Population of the parish, in 1801, 1,007; in 1831, 1,487. Houses 279. Assessed property, in 1815, £6,978.

Kirkpatrick Durham is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. Patron, the Crown. Stipend £288 19s. 5d.; glebe £10 16s. The parish church was built in 1748, and enlarged in 1797; sittings 374. A schoolhouse, 5 miles from the church, was enlarged in 1836, to serve as a sort of chapel-of-ease; and a licentiate of the Establishment was to be attached to it, supported by an allowance from a private individual. The parish minister stated, in 1836, that 190 of the population were dissenters, and all the others churchmen. There are 3 parochial schools, attended by a maximum of 166 scholars; and 1 non-parochial, attended by a maximum of 64. Salary of the first parochial schoolmaster £31 6s. 2jd., with about £30 fees, and the interest of £200 other emoluments; of the second £16 10s., with about £10 fees; of the third £3 6s., with about £24 fees.—The church was anciently a vicarage under the monks of Newabbey. On the bank of the Urr, at a place still called Kirkbride, stood, of old, a church dedicated to St. Bridget.