Taken from the Journal and Appendix to Scotichronicon and Monasticon, Volume 1, 1869

John Pepper - Catholic Priest at Terregles 1774 - 1810.

PEPPER JOHN—Was Born 10th Jan., 1725; Studied in the Scotch College at Douay; and, in 1747, entered the Society of Jesus at Tournay. In 1774, he came to Scotland, and took Charge of the Congregations at Kirkconnell, Terregles, and Dumfries. In 1779 or 1780, a Secular Clergyman was appointed to Kirkconnell, and Mr. Pepper continued to attend the others till his Death at Terregles, on 24th March, 1810. — [Catholic Directory, 1849.]

Another Account of the Above.—Was Born 10th January, 1725; Studied in the Scotch College at Douay; and entered the Novitiate of the Society of Jesus, at Tournay, 28th Sept., 1747, where he deeply imbibed the Religious spirit of his holy Founder, which so strongly animated his breast for the remainder of his life. — From his own Letter of the 21st of January, 1803, I collect that this good Father "came to the Mission in the Summer of 1759. In January, 1763, the Superior of the Mission sent me to France with a procuration for recovering its Funds in that Country. On reaching London, I received the Orders of the General F. Laurence Ricci, for my admission to the Profession of the Four Vows. This was performed in the presence of the Reverend F. Dennet, Provincial of the English Jesuits, then in London, on 5th February, 1763. Thence I went to Paris, but stayed there only a few weeks, and seeing nothing was to be done, was returning to Scotland, when passing by Douay, the Provincial of the Walloon Province kept me there, to assist the Scots Rector in those troublesome times. The Rector sent me to Liege to purchase a Place for a new Establishment. With leave of the Bishop of Liege, and even at the request of the Magistrates of Dinant, I purchased a proper habitation and fitted it up for our uses. The Rector, with his little Community, arrived there in April, 1764; we obtained from the Prince, Bishop, and the States, all the privileges and exemptions which the other Jesuit Colleges enjoyed in that Country; the General Ricci named me first Rector of that new College of Scots, and I held that Office until 1772, when I was succeeded by F. George Maxwell. The destructive Bull was signified to us at Dinant, in September, 1773. The following year that I might be employed in functions proper to the Society, I returned to Scotland, and took Charge of the Congregations at Kirkconnell and Terregles, with the Town of Dumfries. For some years I was alone (F. Fraser, another Professed Jesuit, was at Munshes in the Neighbourhood) but in 1779, or 1780, a Secular Clergyman was appointed to take Charge of the numerous Congregation of Kirkconnell; since which time I have had the Charge of the Catholics of Terregles and Dumfries only; though occasionally I serve also the Family of Kirkconnell, who are strong friends of the Society. Though ready to enter into my 79th year, I am able, thank God, to go about and fulfil my Charge of Missionary. " — He continued to labour with exemplary zeal until his pious Death, at Terregles, on 24th March, 1810. He was buried in the small Kirk adjoining, but there is no Inscription to his memory. For some years before his Death, God granted him the wish of his heart, to renew his Vows in the Society of Jesus, which he had always loved with filial affection.—[Oliver's Collections.]

External Links