A scrapbook containing three articles about the Carthew Yorstoun family genealogy has this typescript note on the Ewarts of Mullock and of Kirkcudbright.

Eleven Generations of the Ewart Family - Compiled by the Late Sir John Spencer Ewart, of Craigcleugh, Langholm. (And brought up-to-date in September 1934 by Wm. Ewart).

The family of Ewart is one of the oldest in Galloway, and came originally from Roxburgh and the Borders. The Ewarts of Mullock cannot be traced further back than 1480, but according to tradition an ancestor of the family accompanied Sir James Douglas on his expedition with the heart of King Robert Bruce, a supposition based no doubt on the heart in the Armorial bearings of the family, and it is to be presumed that the Ewarts of Mullock are an offshoot of the very much older family of Ewart of Bodisbeg in Dumfriesshire. With regard to this latter branch of the family it appears that the lands of Shallgyllys and Syftynhowys were granted to Neil Ewart of Bodisbeg by George, Earl of March and Lord of Nithsdale, which was confirmed by charter of King Robert II., dated June 24th, 1373. The family was also possessed of Bidisbeg in 1594 for in that year Neil Ewart of Bodisbeg was granted a “remission” for the slaughter of John, Lord Maxwell, Warden of the Marches. This Neil Ewart was served heir to his grandfather, John Ewart, in the lands of Bodisbeg and “Skytyngholme” evidently the Syftynhowys of the original charter.

Major Robert Ewart of Allershaw and Sailfoot, an officer in the 3rd Batt. K.O. Scottish Borderers, is now the representative in the direct line of the Ewarts of Bodisbeg but his connection with the Ewarts of Mullock cannot be traced. Several other Ewarts are mentioned in early charters and books whom at present it has been impossible to connect with either branches of the family:-

A Mr. John Ewart is named in the roll of Lord William Douglas’ troop of Claverhouse’s Regiment, “The Royal Regiment of Horse” 1678. All members of this regiment were gentlemen.

A “John Ewart Chamberlain” is mentioned in one of the Terregles Charters dated 25th April 1485.

As the Ewarts purchased Mullock from Maxwell of Terregles this John Ewart cleary belonged to the Mullock branch.

A charter exists granting the lands of Northfield and Gulliela in Dumfriesshire to one John Ewart and Janet Johnstone, his wife, dated 1549, but this couple appear to have no connection with Mullock.

A “William Ewart of Kelton and Buittle” also appears in a charter [dated ?? March 1577. This charter was confirmed by King James VI. [in favour of] John Ewart, dated Holyrood 4th December 1586.

[The family of Ewart] of Mullock was for many years intimately [involved in the] history and welfare of the borough of Kirkcudbright, and the office of Chief Magistrate there was repeated filled by a member of it. Mr. John Ewart of Mullock represented Kirkcudbright in the Scottish Parliament of 1661: John Ewart of Mullock, his son, in King William III’s first Parliament: and William Ewart, another son, in 1678. In later years Mr. William Ewart, a member of the family, has represented Dumfries and Border boroughs.

Both in person and in marriage the family identified itself with the cause and fortunes of the Covenanters, and Mr John Ewart of Mullock was sentenced in 1663 to be banished from the realm for his complicity in the movement.

The first of the family for whom any there is any authentic record is Andrew Ewart, Treasurer of Kirkcudbright:-

I. Andrew Ewart, Treasurer of Kirkcudbright, was born about 1540. He is repeatedly mentioned in the borough records between the years 1576 and 1591.

His son:-
II. John Ewart of Mullock was born about 1570. He became a freeman in the year 1601 and a Bailie of Kirkcudbright in 1611 from which year on to 1635 he repeatedly occupied that position. In 1611 he purchased the estates of Mullock and Drumore from Maxwell of Terregles. His will is dated 13th May 1640, and is witnessed by Adam Ewart, Thomas Ewart and John Ewart who we may infer were near relations. He had undoubtedly one brother, James, whose daughter Helen Ewart, married her first cousin, the second John Ewart of Mullock. He had also two sons John, who succeeded in the estates, and Robert, who is mentioned in the Proceedings of the “Kirkcudbright War Committee” as a “Burger of Kirkcudbright.”

His son:-
III. John Ewart of Mullock was born about 1595, and like his father was a Merchant in Kirkcudbright. He was a bailie of Kirkcudbright in 1630, in which year he was appointed to go as Commissioner for the borough to Jedburgh and then proceed to Edinburgh to pay the “checker” (Exchequer.) He was first chosen provost of the town in 1649 and afterwards repeatedly filled the office of Chief Magistrate. The borough records state that “he had the greatest trade with Holland of any in the town” and that in 1644 he advanced money for the defence of Kirkcudbright. He was a member of the Kirkcudbright War Committee, (an organisation of the Covenanters) and a Commissioner in the Stewartry for the collection of imposts raised by order of Charles II’s first Parliament after the restoration. He himself represented Kirkcudbright in this Parliament. He married his first cousin Helen Ewart, and had three sons:- John, who succeeded to Mullock: Andrew, whoo died young: and William, afterwards Member of Parliament for Kirkcudbright.

His son:-
IV. John Ewart of Mullock was born in 1622, entered the Town Council of Kirkcudbright in 1647, became a bailie in 1653, and married Marion, daughter of John Brown of Carsluith. He became Provost of Kirkcudbright and occupied that position for a considerable time representing the borough also in Parliament. For his sympathy with the Covenanters and his refusal to act as Provost under the Episcopal Government he was, in 1663, carried as a prisoner to Edinburgh, together with Lord Kirkcudbright and John Carson of Senwick, and was lodged in the Tolbooth. On being tried he was, on 13th August 1663, sentenced to be banished from the realm, a sentence subsequently commuted to a heavy fine. With the accession to the throne of William of Orange he was elected with acclimation to represent Kirkcudbright in the Scottish Parliament and again became Provost of the borough. He died on 7th October 1699 whilst still Commissioner for the borough, and is buried at Kirkcudbright where the town cross still bears the letters J.E.M. (standing for John Wart of Mullock) in his memory.

His brother, William, who was born in 1625, was elected Provost in 1664 on his brother’s refusal to act any longer in that capacity. He was chosen Provost by the Commissioners (Lord Galloway, Annandale, Linlithgow, Drumlanrig and Sir John Wauchope of Niddrie) who were sent down by the Privvy Council to enquire into the riots at Kirkcudbright. He also represented Kirkcudbright in Parliament in 1678 and his only [son] Samuel Ewart became Provost in 1710. The latter commanded a body of foot in 1715 and marched from Kirkcudbright to Dumfries to take part in the defence of that town against the Jacobite forces.

[Heading missing but seems to be the eldest surviving son of IV. John Ewart]
Andrew Ewart of Mullock was born in Kirkcudbright 1660 and married 1st Maria Cannon, by whom he had one daughter Griselda, and 2nd Agnes, daughter of John Grierson of Capenoch of the family of Lag, by whom he had a numerous family. Mr Ewart was the first Minister of the Parish of Kells in Kirkcudbright after the recognition of the Presbyterian religion, a position he occupied for 48 years. A statement published by him upon the subject of supernatural appearances in the Stewartry, which appeared in the Scots Magazine in both amusing and interesting as showing the extraordinary superstition of the age. In this document he signs himself A. Ewart. He died in Kells, 16th August 1739 and is buried there. He left Mullock to his eldest surviving son, James Ewart, from whom sprang a branch of the family now represented by Miss Ewart, Clan Ivor Lodge, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire. Mullock was sold to Lord Selkirk in 1816.

His 5th son:-
VI. Rev. John Ewart was born in 171[6] and married Mary Corrie, a great grand-daughter of Gordon of Earlston, the celebrated Covenanter. He was minister for the Parish of Troqueer, Kirkcudbright, for 58 years, and died in 1799.

It is related that, when the Duke of Cumberland’s Army was entering Scotland in 1745, the Rev. John Ewart rode out at the head of his whole parish to welcome it. Despite this unanimity of Anti-Jacobite feeling amongst his flock, the Rev. John Ewart seems to have had some difficulty in controlling the conduct of the lady (Miss Mary Corrie) to whom he was about to be married, as she had apparently accompanied Lady Nithsdale on the previous day to Dumfries to pay here respects to Prince Charlie. Umbrellas were introduced into Scotland (Note:- apparently they created some opposition amongst the population in these parts, as it was thought wicked to prevent the rain from the heavens falling wherever it was meant to fall, and there were some exciting scenes in the neighbourhood before the umbrella became a safe thing to carry about) during the Rev. Mr Ewart’s ministry, and their introduction formed the subject of a very eloquent discourse by him in which he said there was no longer and excuse for absence from the Kirk. He was reputed to be a man of ability, and an able preacher and is described as invariably a three cornered hat, a wig and a black Spanish cloak. He was buried at Troqueer Kirkcudbright.

His eldest son:-
Joseph Ewart was born at Kirkcudbright on the 30th April 1759. At first he does not appear to have embraced and profession, but travelled abroad as the companion of Macdonald of Clanranald. Whilst on his travels he was fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of Sir John Stepney, then British Minister at Dresden, who took a fancy to him and, when transferred as Ambassador to Berlin, made Mr Ewart first his private secretary, and afterwards Secretary of Embassy. In these capacities he gave so much satisfaction that, after acting as Charge d’Affaires from 1787 to 1788, he was, on the 5th August 1788, at the incredibly early age of 29, appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the King of Prussia. As Ambassador at Berlin he vigorously opposed the partition of Poland incurring the bitter hatred of Empress Catherine of Russia, who, when his death occurred a year or two later, was, no doubt unjustly, accused as having caused him to be poisoned. He also gained great credit for his share in putting down the revolutionary party in Holland and re-establishing the Prince of Orange as Stadthorder. His skilful negotiation of the marriage of H.R.H. the Duke of York, second son of George III and heir to the British throne, with the daughter of the King of Prussia, an alliance regarding which many diplomatic difficulties had arisen, was perhaps his happiest work, earning as it did for him the gratitude of the Duke of York and the Royal Family.

He married in 1785 Elizabeth, Countess von Wartensleben, a Lady-in-Waiting to the Queen of Prussia and eldest daughter of Fredrich Count von Wartensleben, Hofmarschall to the King of Prussia, the representative of one of the oldest and most distinguished Military families in Germany. His Royal Highness the Duke of York was present at the ceremony.

Unfortunately for the future of the family Mr Ewart was not destined to live to receive the high honours which undoubtedly awaited him. His health breaking down, he left Berlin on the 3rd of November, 1791 and died at Bath on the 27th of January 1792 at the early age of 33. A promise of the order of the bath had just been made to him but he did not live to receive this distinction. His wife and three children were befriended by the Duke and Duchess of York who took them to live at the Palace at Catland’s Park, the Countess being appointed as a Lady-in-Waiting to Her Royal Highness. To Mr Ewart’s only son the Duke’s friendship and patronage were always freely extended.

Mr Ewart undoubtedly possessed great diplomatic ability: indeed he was considered by Mr Pitt to be one of the ablest men of the day. He was short, sandy haired, and possessed of a quick temper, and great obstinacy, qualities which induced Mr Pitt to describe him as the “irascible Scot of Berlin.” He was buried at Bath Abbey.

His brother, William, an eminent merchant, who moved from Kirkcudbright to Liverpool, was a close friend of another merchant there [John] Gladstone who had also come to Liverpool from Dumfries, and when the latter’s son was born Mr William Gladstone became his godfather. The son (William Ewart Gladstone) was in later years Prime Minister of England. Mr Ewart’s son, William, was born at Liverpool in 1814, represented Liverpool, and latterly Dumfries Burghs in Parliament, and, after sitting in Parliament for over 38 years, during which time he brought in a number of very useful measures, retired from politics in 1859. He died in 1869 at his Wiltshire home Broadleas Devizes. This which is now represented by William, Herbert, Lee, Ewart who still live at his grandfather’s (William Ewart’s) house Broadleas.

His (Joseph Ewart’s) son:-
VIII. John Frederick Ewart was born at Berlin in July 1786 and entered the army at the age of 16 as an Ensign in the 52nd Light Infantry. He served with his Regiment at the bombardment of Copenhagen, the battle of Vimeira (wounded) , the Expedition to Walcheren, the battles of Fuent[es] d’Onor, Salamanca, and Sabugal, and the sieges of Badajos (wounded) and Ciudad Rodrigo.He commanded the York Chasseurs at the Capture of the Gaudaloupe and the 67th Regiment at the siege of Asseerghur. He subsequently held command of the Coventry District in England.

He married Lavinia Isabella, daughter of Rear Admiral Sir Charles Brisbane K.C.B., Governor of St Vincent, a member of the family of Brisbane of Brisbane, Ayrshire, and a most distinguished Naval Officer , who, as Captain of the famous frigate “Arethusa” had gained a very high reputation for himself. A brother of Sir Charles, Commodore Sir James Brisbane, K.C.B., was Flag Captain to Lord Exmouth at the bombardment of Algiers, and the town of Brisbane, Australia, is named after his cousin, General Sir Thomas Makdougal Brisbane, Bart, G.C.B., G.C.D., Governor of New South Wales.

Lieutenant-General Ewart, who was in possession of the C.B. Peninsular Medal with 5 clasps, and the Bourbon order of the Feur de Lys died on 23rd October 1854, and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, London.

His third son:-
IX. John Alexander Ewart was born in India on June 11th, 1821, and entered the army as an Ensign in the 35th Regiment. Exchanging to the 93rd Southerland Highlanders he served through the Crimean War, including the battles of Alma, Balaclava, Inkerman, and the siege of Sebastopol (Medal with 4 clasps, Legion of Honour, 5th: Class Medjidie, Sardinian and Turkish Medals.) He also served in the Indian Mutiny with the 93rd being severely wounded at the storming of Secunderabagh where he personally secured a colour. He was again very severely wounded (left arm carried away) when in action with the Gwalior rebels at Cawnpore (medal and clasp for relief of Lucknow C.B. and A.D.C to the Queen.) Exchanging as Lieutenant-Colonel to the 78th Highlanders he commanded that regiment for 5 years. As a Major-General he also held command of the Allahabad Division of the Indian Army, and he subsequently retired as a Full General from the active list. He was created K.C.B. on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Jubilee (1887), was Full Colonel of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders for II [probably 11?] years , and was afterwards transferred in 1895 to the Coloneley of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He married in 1858, Frances, eldest daughter of Spencer Stone Esq., of Callingwood Hall, Staffordshire, who died in 1873. In 1890 he purchased Craigcleugh House, near Langholm, Dumfriesshire. He was J.P. for both Dumfriesshire and Staffordshire. He died June 18th, 1904. He had three brothers: Vice Admiral Ewart C.B., Rev. William Ewart, M.A., and Lieutenant-General C.B. Ewart, Governor of Jersey, whose eldest son is Captain C.F.S. Ewart, late of the 78th Highlanders.

His (Sir John’s) son:-
X. John Spencer Ewart was born on March 22nd, 1861, was educated at Marlborough College, and entered the army in 1881 as a Lieutenant in the 79th Cameron Highlanders. He served with the Regiment in the Egyptian Campaign of 1882, at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir, in the Nile Exhibition and with the Sudan Frontier Field force including the engagements at Kosheh and Giniss (Medal with 2 clasps, 5th: Class Medjidie, and Khedive’s Star).

He held at various times the positions of Garrison Adjutant in Egypt, A.D.C to the General Officer Commanding Scotland, and Military Secretary to the Governor of Malta (General Sir George Freemantle K.C.M., C.C.B.). He served in the Sudan in 1898, South Aftrican war 1899-1902 (Medals), was Military Secretary to the Secretary of State for War, and Secretary of the Selection Board 1904-1906, D.M.O. at the War Office 1906 – 1910, Adjutant-General of the Forces (2 military members of the Army Council) 1910 – 1914, A.D.C General to the King 1910 – 1914, General Officer Commander in Chief Scottish Command 1914 – 1928, Lt-Gen 1911, K.C.B Hon. Col. 4th Batt Q.O. Cameron Highlanders 1908 – 1920, Retired 1920. J.P. for Dumfriesshire. Married in 1891Robin, daughter of Major G.W. Platt, Danallan, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire. He died September 1930.

General Sir George Spencer Ewart had three brothers, Admiral Arthur Stewart R.N., Major W.D. Ewart 79th Cameron Highlanders, who also served in Egypt, on the Nile and in the Soudan, and Lieutenant Ronald Ewart, The Black watch.

His daughter:-
Marion Frances, born Oct 4th, 1892, married Captain A Munro (79th Cam. Highlanders).

Internal Links

External Links